OutBüro Community Guidelines
Keep it civil aka don’t be a jerk
We’re going to get into the thick of a lot of heated discussions and that’s okay. These discussions often entail topics that we all personally care a lot about and will passionately defend. But in order for discussions to thrive here, we need to remember to criticize ideas, not people.
So, remember to avoid:
- ad hominem attacks
- Responding to a post’s tone instead of its actual content.
- knee-jerk contradiction
Comments that we find to be hateful, inflammatory, or harassing may be removed and repeated offenders may be banned from the site mid membership term without refund.
- Don’t Be a Jerk
- Treat others the way you’d like to be treated.
- Keep it professional.
- Stay On-topic
- If you don’t have something nice to say about another user, don’t say it.
- Always strive to add value to every interaction and discussion you participate in
- There are a lot of discussions that happen every day on OutBüro. Before joining in a discussion, browse through some of the most recent and active discussions happening in the community, especially if you’re new here or to a particular group.If you are not sure your post adds to the conversation, think over what you want to say and try again later.
- Keep it tidy
- Be sure your topic matches the general theme of the channel. For example, all discussions on Talk Shop should pertain to fashion and beauty. Not sure if you’re posting to the right channel? Check the channel’s About section, or recently-added discussions to get an idea of what subjects are appropriate.
- No Self-promotion in comments in where the discussion is not specifically for such responses
- A discussion or comment that contains only a link to your blog, a product, or your article on another site will almost always be removed.
- Choose Your (Curse) Words Wisely
- Comments that contain profanity are automatically held for moderator review before being posted. Depending on the context of the comment, it may be removed. Profanity used to insult, antagonize, or inflame will always be removed.
- Personal attacks and harassment will not be tolerated.
- Sexist, racist, misogynist, homophobic, and broad, offensive generalizations about groups of people are simply not allowed.
- Comments or discussions written intentionally to provoke will also be removed.
- Don’t Copy and Paste
- If you didn’t write it, or haven’t properly cited the article you’re quoting, don’t post it.
- English Only
- We currently only support English-only discussions on Disqus channels. Non-English comments and discussions will be removed.
Help make moderators’ lives easier by taking a moment to ensure that what you’re about to post is in the right place. That means:
- Don’t post off-topic comments or discussions: check the Explore page to find the appropriate channel for your topic
- Don’t cross-post the same thing multiple times
review any specific posting guidelines for the community: some communities such as a movies community may have specific rules regarding spoilers.
- Check if another active discussion on your topic has already been posted
- If you see something, say something
Moderators are at the forefront of combatting spam, mediating disputes and enforcing community guidelines and, so are you.