While progress has been made, there are too many lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, bisexual and queer individuals who still worry that being fully who they are at work will have adverse consequences. Protections are based on where one lives. This is sad as many love their home states and cities and may not be able to move to more hospitable locations due to family requirements or other reasons. Why should someone have to move simply to be treated with dignity and respect?
Without federal and uniform state-level nondiscrimination laws across the land, many LGBT working force and professionals believe they have to hide who they are at work else they may jeopardize the ability to earn a living.
States LGBT Workers Can Be Fired
Map of states that have sexual orientation and gender identity discrimination prohibited in public and private employment via statute, executive order, regulation, and/or case law: Note that any state less than level 1 (purple) is less than 100% protection.
█ 1. Sexual orientation and gender identity discrimination prohibited in public and private employment via statute, executive order, regulation, and/or case law
- List of cities and counties in the United States offering an LGBT non-discrimination ordinance
- Employment discrimination law in the United States
- LGBT rights by country or territory
Companies Can Lead the Way in Diversity and Inclusion of the LGBT community
- 15 Ways to Improve Diversity LGBT Candidate Cultivation
- LGBT Workplace Equality – 5 Examples to Help Allies Understand
- Company Reviews – Good for Companies and Their LGBTQ Employees