Scott Vedder is an LGBT entrepreneur focusing as a professional career coach helping to craft resumes that stand out effectively communicating the skills and past success that align with a candidate’s ideal target jobs. Job search tips for writing a great resume for all including military veterans transitioning to civilian careers, gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) professionals seeking a career change and new job. Maximize your resume to improve your job search chances.
- 01:50 Introducing Scott Vedder
- 02:50 Most resumes are awful so he wrote a book to help
- 03:30 Special edition for US military veterans
- 07:20 US Veterans are some of the best job candidates in the workforce
- 08:15 Signs of a great resume to quantify what makes you a great fit for the job
- 10:30 Your LinkedIn profile should not be a literal copy of your resume. Think of it as a marketing brochure. Make it POP.
- 12:30 Tips to create an amazing resume that intrigues and WOW’s like a movie trailer.
- 14:00 Networking and relationship building should be ongoing
- 18:00 You will NEVER hear a recruiter say, “The candidate made it too easy to see why they are a great fit for this job”
- 18:30 The biggest mistake you can make on a resume is writing it like a job description.
- 20:45 Lose the jargon. Keep the language simple, concise and typically no acronyms unless super commonly known
- 28:45 Should you be OUT as LGBTQ on your resume?
- 33:00 Researching employers on their LGBTQ inclusiveness – it is darn difficult
- 37:00 Join HTTP://WWW.OUTBURO.COM add your professional profile, rate/review your current and recent past employers so that your ratings provide feedback to employers and are available for future candidates
- 42:00 Ways to further research a potential employer’s LGBTQA friendliness
Scott Vedder conducted over 5,000 interviews as a recruiter at a Fortune 100 company. He quickly discovered that a good résumé is truly hard to come by and that most applicants don’t have a clue what recruiters want to see. Scott’s book “Signs of a Great Résumé” is a #1 best-selling book on Amazon.com and has been endorsed as “Recommended Reading” by the Central Florida Employment Council (CFEC) and the Central Florida Jobs Initiative. Scott is often quoted as an expert resource and is a regular contributor to a number of international blogs, magazines, syndicated newspaper columns, and web sites. Scott has also been interviewed on dozens of live television and radio news programs. While on speaking engagement’s Scott was often asked by military veterans how to best translate their military experience to a civilian job market. This led to the adapted version of his best selling book to focus on military veterans. His focus on and strong involvement with veteran groups led him to be personally invited to the White House twice under two administrations to be recognized by the Society for Human Resource Management, Women Unlimited and the Metropolitan Business Association, LGBT Chamber of Commerce for his contributions and for helping job seekers around the world.
Scott Vedder on OutBüro > https://www.outburo.com/profile/scott_vedder/
- Signs of a Great Resume – Book (Get it on Amazon at https://amzn.to/31V0NKg)
- Signs of a Great Resume – Veterans Edition (Get it on Amazon at https://amzn.to/2DnLwra)
Signs of a Great Resume – Book
Scott’s #1 best-selling book, Signs of a Great Résumé, will teach you how to write a résumé that speaks for itself. This lighthearted book presents an effective approach to the serious business of writing résumés. Scott’s style is humorous, easy to understand and fun to read …if he does say so himself!
Scott has developed a simple way to make your résumé speak for itself, using !@#$%, the Signs of a Great Résumé. Each sign showcases your experience and skills and highlights your greatest achievements and contributions.
- ! Any part of your experience that was “amazing!”
- @ Defining points, places, dates, and things in your career
- # Numbers that quantify and prove your past successes
- $ The dollar value of your contributions
- % Figures that easily show growth and results
Whether you’re a recent grad or a CEO, a garbage collector or an astrophysicist, you can use Signs of a Great Résumé to make your experience shine… and recruiters love to see some nice, shiny experience on a résumé!
This lighthearted book presents an effective approach to the serious business of writing résumés. Scott’s style is humorous, easy to understand and fun to read …if he does say so himself! In this book you’ll learn how to customize your résumé for each job using !@#$%, how to write a great cover letter and more.
Signs of a Great Resume – Veterans Edition
Veterans, transitioning service members and military families can get great new jobs in the civilian sector with Signs of a Great Résumé: Veterans Edition. Tell civilian recruiters, “I am a P.A.T.R.I.O.T.” Learn to highlight the military values and characteristics that make you a great candidate for the civilian workplace. Taking the above principle and further applying the veteran-specific skills referenced as PATRIOT to stand out and land that new civilian job.